Loading... 15 view(s)
Click here to shop for rivets in the Spaenaur Catalog
- Rivets are one of the oldest fastening devices in the world, being used as early as 3000 B.C. in Egypt to make tools.
- The first rivet nut was created and named Rivnut® by BF Goodrich in the 1930s. It was first used to mount rubber de-icing boots to aircraft wings.
- Over 10 million rivets were used in the construction of the Queen Mary cruise ship.
There are many types of rivets, here are a few:
Solid rivets: Solid rivets consist of a shaft and a head and require access to the other side of the materials being fastened.Blind Rivets: A key advantage of blind rivets is they can be installed from a single side. Blind rivets are also known as hollow rivets. Self-Piercing Rivets: Self-piercing rivets have a chamfered shaft to help the rivet poke through the materials being fastened and do not require a pre-drilled hole. Rivet Nuts: Rivet nuts work like other rivets, but are designed to be used with threaded fasteners so the pieces can be disassembled later.
Advantages and disadvantages of using rivets:
- Easy to assemble
- Strong, lightweight and durable
- Rivets can join many kinds of materials of different thicknesses
- Inability to be disassembled
- Rivets are not airtight. Unless a sealant is used around the rivet, water and air can seep through5